- “Valentinelli gives us a lyrical yet chilling encounter at a crucial point of America’s history.” –Review of THE QUEEN OF CROWS on DriveThruHorror.com
- “Of all the tales (in BURIED TALES OF PINEBOX, TEXAS), I enjoyed Pie, The Evil Within, and The Witch of Linda Lane the most. Pie is a tale that, among other things, warns us to be careful what we eat.” –Review of BURIED TALES OF PINEBOX, TEXAS on Amazon.com
- BURIED TALES OF PINEBOX, TEXAS won first place for 2009 best anthology in the annual Preditors & Editors Reader’s Choice Awards.
- CHASING SHADOWS, a horror movie screenplay, placed as a finalist in the Shriekfest 2009 competition.
- FlamesRising.com won a Silver ENnie through the hobby games industry awards at GenCon: Indianapolis in 2008.
- PREY won an Honorable Mention through the MIRRORMASK 2005 fiction competition sponsored by FutureFire.net.
Monica Valentinelli is an author and game designer.
As an author, Monica has written both tie-in fiction (BURIED TALES OF PINEBOX, TEXAS) and original fiction (THE QUEEN OF CROWS). As a game designer, Monica has written game material and non-fiction. She has been published by companies like Eden Studios (ALL FLESH MUST BE EATEN) and White Wolf (THE DEVIL’S NIGHT: SAS One-Scene). Her non-fiction publications include FAMILY GAMES: 100 and may also be found as a guest blogger through Apex Book Company and SFWA.org.
Monica is an active member of the writing community. She is an Associate Member of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA). You can read monthly articles for SFWA.org by Monica Valentinelli on the SFWA website. You’ll also find Monica at several conventions and writer’s groups throughout the year; she’s spoken on several convention panels including WisCon, OddCon and the GenCon: Indy for the Writer’s Symposium which is led by Jean Rabe.
In addition to being an author and game designer, Monica has a number of different interests and hobbies that she enjoys. She was a musician for over twenty years and performed in a rock opera for two. While her musical tastes are pretty broad, she enjoys listening to Muse, Queen and a number of bands from the UK. When she’s writing, she’ll listen to Soma.fm or Nox Arcana to help her concentrate.
Monica is a “cat person” and an amateur artist, photographer and jewelry maker who enjoys stretching her creative muscles into different directions. When she’s not found in front of her netbook or her laptop, you can probably find her enjoying the great outdoors during the warmer months or playing video games during the colder ones. She’s a fan of many different properties, but most notably she enjoys Hellboy, Hack/Slash, video games from the Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy and Lego franchises, iterations of Thor and Queen Mab, the Dresden Files, Lovecraft, the Justice League, Pet Avengers, Darkwing Duck, LOST, Frank Herbert’s Dune and pretty much anything by Joss Whedon.
For a full list of publications, please visit the publications by Monica Valentinelli page for more information.
Quotes About Monica and her Work
Here are some things that people have said about Monica or her writing:
“Monica is a force of nature.”–Matt Staggs, Book Publicist and Author
In 2010, Monica will be attending C2E2 and will be joining the GenCon Writer’s Symposium as a panelist.